Best finished with freshly grated Parmesan, parsley for garnish, and a drizzle of olive oil. Red wine is a good accompaniment ... Finish the rest of the bottle over candle light with a loved one !
Sauté the following for 12 to 14 minutes:
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Butter or Substitute Butter
- 1 Large Red Onion diced fine
- 2 Red Peppers diced fine
Add the following:
- 3 Medium size carrots cut in rounds
- 4 Small yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 Medium size zucchini diced
- 1 cup French Lentils
- 1/2 cup Arborio Rice
- 2 quarts Vegetable stock See instructions for making your own
- 2 cups Red wine
- pinch Chili flakes
- 1 T Fresh thyme
- 4 Sprigs rosemary chopped fine( or about 2 to 3 T
- 4 Bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Put on high heat until it comes to a boil...then turn to a low simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes....
When the veggies are soft, add a splash of fresh lemon juice and a splash of balsamic vinegar...brings out the freshness!
If you have the time it’s best to prepare your own vegetable stock with the discarded parts from all of the veggies (carrot and onion skins for example). Fill a large pot with water and veggie peelings and boil down for about 30 minutes... drain and set aside.
If you have left over or crusty old bread, it’s great to pan fry it ( or bake) in olive oil and garlic, then place in the soup with the Parmesan cheese...